Heating and cooling systems depend on thermostats to generate a correct reading of the indoor temperature of your home or office. It is an essential component of your HVAC unit to ensure that the desired ambient temperature is maintained. Many HVAC experts recommend using programmable thermostats because they are convenient to use. But what is it exactly and how does a programmable thermostat work?
Understanding The Programmable Thermostat
Table of Contents
- 1 Understanding The Programmable Thermostat
- 2 Call Skylands Energy Service For All Of Your HVAC Requirements
A thermostat is an HVAC system component designed to sense and control the temperature in an enclosed space. It also controls the specific actions of your air conditioner or furnace. It does so by turning the system on and off and regulating the flow amount of the heat transfer fluid. This way, the desired temperature within your home or office is maintained.
Manual Thermostats Vs. Programmable Thermostats
Programmable thermostats differ from ordinary ones in that they can adjust the temperature automatically. It follows the settings you input into the system. You can set the temperatures to be higher or lower according to your preferred settings during the different times of the day.
Most of the thermostats used today are digital. However, older homes and establishments might still use non-digital thermostats. Digital thermostats are equipped with a thermistor. This component measures the temperature as it has metals that change along with the ambient temperature changes. The thermistor also allows temperature electrical resistance changes.
The microcontroller is another essential thermostat component. It is responsible for measuring the electrical resistance, which is converted into the temperature reading. This allows modern digital thermostats to sense the temperature. It is equipped with programmable settings that allow users to program the thermostat to turn up or down the heat at different times of the day.
For instance, the thermostat can be programmed to heat your home during winter mornings and turn it down when you leave for work. You can also turn the heat up again when you return home. You can also set your programmable thermostat to regulate the temperature for the whole day, based on the indoor temperature’s fluctuation in a 24-hour timeframe.
Programmable thermostats also help if you utilize HVAC zoning. This means that your home is divided into different zones or areas, allowing each zone to be heated or cooled using varying temperature settings. This is the ideal setup if you have a multi-level home.
Bear in mind that hot air rises, so rooms in lower levels tend to be cooler than those in the upper levels. This can be remedied with a programmable thermostat installed in different zones. It will allow you to control the temperature and keep it constant throughout your house.
Benefits Of A Programmable Thermostat
Some of the advantages a programmable thermostat can bring are:
- Automatic Temperature Adjustment: A programmable thermostat can automatically be set to heat or cool rooms at specific times of the day. Therefore, you do not have to keep adjusting the temperature. It eliminates the hassle of going to your thermostat repeatedly to change the temperatures when necessary.
- Enhanced Comfort: A programmable thermostat adjusts the temperature automatically. Therefore, areas in your home maintain the preferred temperature throughout the day, ensuring that you receive improved comfort at all times.
- Improved Temperature Control In Zones: A programmable thermostat can help you control the temperatures more effectively if you have zones for heating and cooling. Since zones are cooled or heated independently, you can opt to turn off the heating or cooling in unoccupied rooms.
- Less Stress On An Older HVAC System: If you have an older HVAC unit, installing a programmable thermostat helps ensure that your system doesn’t overwork. It also reduces wear and tear and helps extend your old HVAC system’s service life.
- Cost-Saving: A programmable thermostat could help lower your home’s energy bills. This is because a programmable thermostat allows you to change the temperature settings depending on your daily schedule. It also ensures your HVAC system doesn’t run on full power all day. The temperature can be turned off, up or down, depending on your household’s needs.
What If I Don’t Want To Use The Automatic Temperature Settings?
All programmable thermostats are equipped with a feature that overrides the automatic system so you can operate it manually. With the manual option, there is no need for you to set the temperatures automatically. You can still control the system but, for convenience, you can opt to have remote control and monitoring. This allows you to change the temperatures in your home without having to come near the thermostat. You don’t even have to be at home.
Newer thermostats have WiFi capabilities, so you can remotely access them via a smartphone or computer. This is a convenient feature for when you forget to set your air conditioner or furnace when you are away from home.
Do You Need A Programmable Thermostat?
Opt for a programmable thermostat if you and your family run on a regular schedule. It is also ideal for homeowners who want to control the temperatures in their homes without manually manipulating the HVAC unit. You can set the thermostat to change the temperature at certain times of the day. You can keep the setting for extended periods as well.
If you are looking to have better control of the ambient temperature in your home without too much inconvenience and manipulation, a programmable thermostat might be what you need.
A programmable thermostat offers better control, convenience, improved comfort, and cost savings. It is an excellent option for homes and offices whose occupants require specific temperatures throughout the day. If you think a programmable thermostat is the right choice for you, consult your local HVAC expert and talk about your heating and cooling needs. They will help you find the best features that will meet all your heating and cooling requirements.
Call Skylands Energy Service For All Of Your HVAC Requirements
When you need excellent heating and cooling services in Central New Jersey, do not hesitate to call Skylands Energy Service. We hire the best professionally certified and highly trained technicians for all your HVAC services needs, including repairs, tune-ups, replacements, and installations. Our techs are knowledgeable, skilled, and experienced in working on any HVAC system correctly and promptly.
Our company guarantees practical and affordable HVAC service solutions. By using our maintenance services, you will improve your home’s comfort, indoor air quality, and energy efficiency. We can recommend the best HVAC repair or replacement system within your budget. All our work comes with a guarantee because your satisfaction is our priority. Book a service appointment by calling Skylands Energy Service today. We provide free, in-home estimates.