Heating oil prices are much higher during the colder months of winter than they are in the late spring and summer. However, homeowners don’t have to spend a fortune to get the heating oil that their household needs this winter. In this article, we will discuss a few home heating oil delivery tips that will help cut your spending on fuel oil, and in general, how to limit your home heating costs.
Buying Bulk Heating Oil In The Off-Season
Table of Contents
The market for oil is a volatile one. As a consequence, there are seasonal increases and dips in oil heat prices. These prices. however, tend to follow clearly defined trends. Ultimately, prices for fuel are higher during winter than they are in the warmer summer months. The period of peak demand falls between October and March. Due to this fact, if you understand the price movements or trends, you can time your heating oil purchase to ensure the lowest costs. Purchasing your fuel during the off-season can produce significant savings in your overall fuel budget.
Get A Winter Tune-Up For Your Furnace
Just ahead of winter, have an HVAC technician perform ongoing maintenance for your furnace. A winter tune-up will keep your heater working efficiently all winter long. As such, it won’t have to use as much heating oil to keep your home at a suitably warm temperature throughout the winter. This will keep both your use of heating oil and your energy costs far lower.
Cut The Costs Of Water Heating
As per the Department of Energy, water heating accounts for approximately 12 percent of the heating costs for the average U.S. household. The good news is that you may be able to cut this portion of your budget without having to invest in new water heating equipment. Ultimately, you can reach this target my making a number of free changes in your habits like:
- spending less time in the shower
- washing the majority of your laundry in cold water
- using less hot water
- reducing the temperature of your water heater by about 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
Make Sure That Your House Is Energy-Efficient
To reduce your spending on heating costs, you need to increase the overall energy-efficiency of your home. Among some of the things that you can do are:
- Maintain optimal settings for your thermostat: The Department of Energy suggests setting the thermostat between 68 and 70 degrees F when you’re at home. At night, or when you’re away from the home, set the thermostat to just 60 degrees F. When you do this, you’ll reduce your yearly home heating costs by as much as 10 to 20 percent. This translates to a 2 percent reduction in your energy bill for every degree that your thermostat is lowered throughout the winter. For the best possible savings, purchase a thermostat that’s programmable. These units will automatically control your indoor temperature based upon the programming you’ve supplied.
- Seal any air leaks: All homes have a few, small-sized cracks and gaps. These are often found around the windows and doors. Gaps like these lead to escaping air, which results in heat loss when the outside temperatures are cold. Worse still, your heating system will have to work harder as a result. This means that it will be consuming far more heating oil. Experts assert that unsealed gaps and cracks can result in the same amount of heat loss as an open window. The good news is that you can easily seal these leaks off by using caulk, weatherstripping, and expandable foam.
Fuel Oil Delivery New Brunswick NJ
To find the best heating oil companies near me, do not only focus on local fuel oil prices alone. Heating oil prices, along with the quality of the delivery service needs to take an important role when choosing a fuel delivery company. You want a company that provides trusted service and high quality fuel oil. When you need affordable and reliable fuel oil delivery, be sure to contact Skylands Energy. We also offer heater maintenance and repairs. Make sure that your heater is ready for the winter by scheduling a professional inspection and cleaning of your system. This helps reduce energy costs and ensures that you stay nice and comfortable during extreme temperatures. Call our office to schedule an appointment.
We service East Brunswick NJ 08816, Edison NJ 08817, Franklin Park NJ 08823, Highland Park NJ 08904, Metuchen NJ 08840, Middlesex NJ 08846, Milltown NJ 08850, New Brunswick NJ 08901, North Brunswick NJ 08902, Parlin NJ 08859, Piscataway NJ 08854, Sayreville NJ 08871, Somerset NJ 08873, South Bound Brook NJ 08880, South Plainfield NJ 07080, South River NJ 08877, and surrounding areas.